Zach's Equations and Antics

The thoughts of a PhysicsAddict.

Monday, March 2, 2009

Thing 8 - Wiki Quick

I found the organization of most of the sites easy to follow. One site, had their blogger page embedded into their Wiki. Its a cool concept, but killed the scroll function on my mousewheel. It could be useful If you can keep your blogger page short. The site had a plethora of tools to use for educators. I liked the concept of a visual intro. Voki is a way to create a digital avatar that will speak what ever you type. This has lots of potential, as you can have an animated charater speak what ever you type, which would make updating it easy.



Dr. Reich's Chemistry Wiki is another with a video intro, but simply a webcam recording, hosted by teachertube, which I am greatful for because the mesquite district does not ban.


Math 12V is a useful site, but lacking visuals. I wonder if they know about the little sitemo app I have on my sidebar. Maybe I will check...

The FHS Wolves den has some very intersting tools that allow them to share information about english and history. I looked at the Voicethread.com site. This site from my understanding is an interactive visual discussion site, with many ways to comment, via phone, webcam. A person can speak live and edit images at the same time. Cool tool. Viddler is a video site with some cool tweaks, like commenting on the video and displaying them in the timeline.

The Wiki's seem more collaborative than blogging, but so far I like the ease of design in blogging.


A cool feature I thought might be interesting is to have my assignments on a blog, wiki or whatever and RSS feed it. Let students know about mobile RSS readers and they always have access to assignments or other info.

For my personal Wiki, I would like to have a video intro, maybe through Voki, unless the particular text to voice is too choppy. Maybe if I can find an online video editor and make something there. A banner nav bar and a sidebar with quick content links. Current content will be the bulk of the page. Currently my thoughts seem a bit Web 1.0, so I will have to process some thoughts about what to use for making it web2.0.

Please, Feel free to comment and give ideas!!!

1 comment:

  1. Your post elicits a couple of thoughts:
    1. You will learn more about Voicethread and have an opportunity to explore it further in a later "thing."
    2. Love the idea of putting your assignments on a tool with an RSS feed and teaching students about RSS readers!
    3. While blogs and wikis are both collaborative tools, they each serve a different purpose. A blog is a place for an individual to post his thoughts and have a conversation with his readers through comments. A wiki is a place for groups of people to work on a project collaboratively. Do you see the difference now?

    ReplyDelete