Zach's Equations and Antics

The thoughts of a PhysicsAddict.

Friday, February 6, 2009

Thing #4

Blog Mining



I had found that one quote from Anne made me pause to think.
The quote was:

Blogs help learners to see knowledge as interconnected as opposed to a set of discrete facts.


Knowledge:
2 a (1): the fact or condition of knowing something with familiarity gained through experience or association



As a Physics teacher, I try to continually tell the students that nothing is absolute. The scientific definition of law is still based on what is generally accepted. Students get to witness this first hand with blogging. Through discussion, they can all come to agree on what a concept means, thus expanding their knowledge.


After reading Dan's and Joyce's posts, my thoughts on the classroom are making a personal paradigm shift. Dan's article is about Homework, or lack there of. I agree that with good classroom management, the student can get enough practice. The challenge, which is also addressed, is how to keep students with varying achievement levels engagued for the class. The choice of regular, practice and challenge satisfies my level of the student trying the problems. As an incentive for studnets to do challenge over practice, offer a similar problem to the challenge problem as a bonus on tests.
Joyce's post inspires me to go to the stack of powerpoints I have now and retool them for more enguaging presentations that will keep the students attention. I have recently found myself taking up notes to try and force students to write something down with the thought that by writing it down, they have a better chance of retaining the information. I see the flaw in this now, twofold. First, they cant use their notes if I have them to grade, and second, I am asking the students to write notes and listen to me at the same time. They are either writing notes, or listening to me. I find that the students that ask the best questions are the ones that are not busy writing down my notes.

My concern is will students shut me out now that they have the information dropped in their lap. Thoughts?

4 comments:

  1. Maybe you answered your own question at the beginning of your post when you talked about students discussing concepts in order to develop knowledge. Maybe their notes should be about their discussions with guidance from you in order to keep them on track?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your page! I share your pain on balancing attention, motivation, learning and engaging all in one class period with more that one learning styles. But in the end it we whats best for the student!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pick Your Brain has a valid point. It is a challenge to engage every student in one class period due to different learning styles.

    ReplyDelete